da dissidência

Freud   /   Jung
Jung: As I may say so, dear professor, you make the mistake of treating your friends like patients. This enables you to reduce them to the level of children, so that their only choice is to become obsequious non-entities or bullying enforces of party line, while you sit on the mountain top. The infalible father-figure. And nobody dares to pluck you by the beard and say: think about your behavior and then decide which one of us is neurotic. I speak as a friend.

Freud: Your letter cannot be answered. Your claim that I treat my friends like patients is self-evidently untrue. First of whichever of us is the neurotic, I thought we analysts were agreed a little neurosis was nothing whatever to be ashamed of. But a man like you who behaves quite abnormally and then stands there shouting at the top of his voice how normal he is, does give considerable cause for concern. For a long time now our relationship has been hanging by a thread and a thread moreover mostly consisting of past disappointments. We have nothing to lose by cutting it.

Jung: You will be the best judge of what this moment means to you. The rest is silence.

No comments: